Monday, August 3, 2015

MJ Brownies

So my cute little cousins are in town from Texas, and yesterday they went out with my mom to go see our horse. I am telling you they are the most adorable three boys that ever walked this planet. Talk about personality. The oldest is 5 and oh my is he going to be trouble. And each of them are going to be heart breakers no doubt. When I heard they were coming I of course had to have some treats for them, so I thought "oh I know, I'll make my favorite! Crack brownies!". But it didn't really seem right to give three little boys some brownies and tell them its crack. So instead of just leaving out the crack part, how about we change them up a bit and give them a completely different name! Genius, I know. Crack brownies are made of a brownie bottom, marshmallow peanut and Reese's middle, with a crunchy rice krispie peanut butter topping (OMG IKR). So all I did was remove the marshmallows and add in a cream cheese frosting filling instead (YES OMG IK).
 Boom. MJ brownies are born. Short for Mary Jane. I can just tell the boys I named them after one of my dear old friends ;).



MJ Brownies

Brownies
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cups flour
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8 in pan with foil and an overhang.
  2. Melt the butter and sugar in a large bowl in the microwave for one minute until the butter is melted.
  3. Stir together well, then beat in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla.
  4. Beat in the eggs.
  5. Stir in the flour until combined, then spread into prepared pan.
  6. Bake for about 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Set aside to cool.
Cream cheese filling
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1 cup chopped reeses
Instructions
  1. Beat together the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl.
  2. Add in the vanilla, then slowly mix in the powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
  3. Spread this over the brownie layer, then top with the peanuts and reeses. 
  4. Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes to cool.
Krispie Topping
  • 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Instructions
  1. Melt the peanut butter and chocolate chips in a medium bowl for one minute in the microwave.
  2. Stir in the cereal.
  3. Spread over the cream cheese layer, then cool in the fridge before cutting into bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment