Sunday, August 2, 2015

My Wonderful Mother's Birthday Cake :)

It's finally official. I am the winner. I get the award for worst daughter ever. I didn't make my mom a birthday cake. I do have a few lame excuses, like that we were in Chicago the actual day of her birthday and my Aunt Lori told me she had a cake for her. But I am THE QUEEN of birthday cakes. I do not care who you are or what you are doing you deserve to have your favorite cake for your birthday. The worst part is, I didn't even realize I didn't make my mom a cake until she said "Cailin you didn't make me a birthday cake this year" and  then my heart shattered into a million pieces as I came to the conclusion that I honestly suck. So even though it was a week and a half late, I got my little toosh in the kitchen and made her favorite lemon berry cake. It turned out lovely and beautiful and lite just like my mother :).

Lemon Berry Cake

Lemon Cake
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1.5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1.2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • juice from 2 lemons
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
Instructions
  1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line three 8' cake pans with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well.
  5. Add in vanilla, then 1/3 of the flour mixture.
  6. Stir in the lemon juice and zest.
  7. Add in half of the remaining flour and then the buttermilk.
  8. Mix in the rest of the flour and then evenly pour into prepared pans.
  9. Bake for about 25 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
Raspberry Filling
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups raspberries, divided
Instructions
  1. Whip the cream and brown sugar until stiff peaks form.
  2. Stir in vanilla.
  3. Mash up 1 cup of the raspberries and then fold into the cream.
  4. After the cakes have cooled and you have leveled them, fill each layer with this frosting.
Lemon Frosting
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
  2. Add in the lemon zest and juice, then slowly add in the powdered sugar until your desired consistency is reached.
  3. Use this frosting to frost the outside of your cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment