Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hazelnut Pecan Cheesecake Bars

I made these here bars for my daddio. There is something you should know about my dad. He works WAY too hard. Both of my parents do actually, but in different ways. While my mom is up at the crack of dawn feeding 30 horses and cleaning a barn as if it were her second home, my dad is fighting off jet lag flying to Toronto, Chicago, Philadelphia, you name it. It is not uncommon for him to be out of town Monday morning until late Friday night. He will even spend his weekends at the office or work from home. The worst part about it is, he is so under appreciated. By his co-workers, boss, and sometimes even his family. So what better way to show my appreciation for him than through goodies made of love? :) He is on the road so much that he hardly get's home cooked meals, so I love to have something waiting for him when he gets back. This way he knows he is in my thoughts and prayers. And after an entire week of working your butt off, what's better than coming home to a fresh baked yumminess?! Nothing, nothing at all. I try to make things that my dad will really like, but it is difficult sometimes because I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth and he, well, does not. The first thing out of his mouth when he tries something new I've made is usually "wow those are sweet". Which is probably exactly what he'll say with these being they turned out much sweeter than I planned. I am hoping he will be hungry enough to scarf a few down, but if not more for me ;).

Hazelnut Pecan Cheesecake Bars

Crust
  • 1 1/2 cup crushed S'more Oreos
  • 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
Cheesecake
  • 16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 tbsp. all purpose flour
Topping
  • 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  •  3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 inch pan with foil and an over hang.
  2. Mix together the melted butter and crushed oreos and press into prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes, then set aside.
  4. Beat the cream cheese, egg,sugar, milk, vanilla, and flour together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
  5. Pour onto oreo crust and bake for 25-30 minutes until just set, then let cool.
  6. While cheesecake cools, mix the hazelnuts, pecans, corn syrup, butter, dark brown sugar, eggs, and salt in a large bowl.
  7. Spread the nut mixture over cheesecake (the cheesecake may ooze out around the nuts which is alright just keep gently spreading)
  8. Bake for another 25 minutes. then let cool and place in the refrigerator for a few hours before cutting into squares!

No comments:

Post a Comment